About Sleeper Train in Vietnam
Vietnam is a very extended country and the best way to cover its long distances is to travel by train, both because it is cheap and to have an interesting cultural insight. The sleeper train in Vietnam is a comfortable, safe, and affordable means of transportation, helping visitors to reduce fatigue when traveling long distances. Most of the Vietnam sleeper trains now have wi-fi (though normally the connection speeds are not the quickest).
A sleeper train can also help you save some accommodation fees and time of traveling since a lot of trains are operating at night. There are two main ticket classes on a regular sleeper train in Vietnam: hard berth and soft berth. Besides, on the Reunification Express Train, the public train crossing Vietnam, there are hard and soft seats also.
Vietnam sleeper train
- Hard berth: More suitable for short-distance traveling, the hard berth is the type that you would lie in a bunk bed, which was made of iron with one thin mattress. Regularly on most of the hard berth class compartments on Vietnam sleeper trains, there are 6 berths in one cabin, and the fare will depend on the floor you choose: The most expensive price to the bottom floor, then the middle floor, and the lowest rate for the top floor.
- Soft berth: It is the most comfortable class for tourists, there are only 4 berths in 1 cabin on a typical first-class sleeper train in Vietnam, or 2 berths even if you have a special request for an additional cost. All berths are marked at the same price. The soft berth is highly recommended for long-distance or a Vietnam overnight train trip as you can rest comfortably in the moving hours.
Reason to Travel to Vietnam by Overnight Train
- Budget price: It is true to say that traveling by train is much cheaper compared to by airplane. Especially if the longer you go, the bigger the price difference. Furthermore, when tourists travel by train, they also enjoy discounted discounts for children, students, soldiers, etc.
- Fares are stable: If you fly frequently, you will understand the complexity of the fare structure of this type of transport. Meanwhile, train fares tend to be stable from day to day. Whether starting at night or day, Monday or Saturday, train tickets are still only one price unchanged.
However, there are also a few times when the fare increases, such as during the holidays, but the difference is not much and tends to return to the old price when the holiday is over. Therefore, it can be said that the train fare is quite stable.
Sleeper berth on Vietnam overnight train
- Can carry a lot of luggage: This is especially beneficial if you are traveling for a long time and need to carry a lot of luggage; as well as when bringing home souvenirs. If traveling by train, you can bring a maximum of 20 kg of baggage, while flying only allows 7 kg in Economy class and 14 kg in Business class.
- Safety: Trains are a fairly safe type of transport. Due to running on separate tracks, the risk of a train colliding with other vehicles is almost impossible. So you can rest assured that you will get to where you go, without having to worry about ever-increasing car or plane crashes.
- Environmentally friendly: Compared to cars or planes, the emissions that trains emit a lot less. The amount of carbon emitted by trains does not have a direct effect on the upper atmosphere and is, therefore, less toxic than aircraft emissions.
If you’re still wondering, please read more Should you travel around Vietnam by sleeper train?
Popular Vietnam Overnight Train routes
Hanoi to Sapa overnight train
If you want to head for the hills at Sapa, the best way to get there is to take the train from Hanoi to Lao Cai. Sapa has no railway station, but it’s about 38 km (24 miles) from Lao Cai railway station and is easily reached there by bus, jeep, or taxi in about 50 minutes. There are both daytime and overnight sleeper trains between Hanoi & Lao Cai however, most of them depart at around 9 – 10 PM from Hanoi and arrive at Lao Cai station at 5 – 6 AM.
On some sleeper trains in Vietnam, you can choose between the normal Vietnamese railways or a whole series of privately-run sleeper trains of a higher standard aimed at tourists. If you are looking for some information about night trains from Hanoi to Sapa, all details you need, from normal sleeper trains to first-class sleeper trains in Vietnam, are shown in the table below for you to follow.
Train Brand Soft Berth (4) VIP Berth (2) Orient Express Train 31 67 Livitrans Express Train 33 N/A The Pumpkin Express Train 33 70 Fansipan Express Train 34 73 King Express Train 35 71 Sapaly Express Train 35 77 Chapa Express Train 37 78 Laman Express Train 41 87 Victoria Express Train 93 143
Hanoi to Sapa overnight train
Hanoi to Hue sleeper train
The journey from Hanoi to Hue takes 12-14 hours, it is strongly recommended to book a soft sleeper-bed ticket. The best option is to travel to Vietnam by sleeper train during night time, leaving in the evening and arriving around lunchtime, so you’ll enjoy the view after you wake up in the morning. The train left on time, and food and snacks were sold on carts, however, you may consider buying dinner outside before because the food on the train tastes not as good as things sold outside. For more detail about the schedule, you can read the information in the table below.
Hard Seat Soft Seat Hard Berth(6) Hard Berth(6) Soft Berth(4) 22:20 10:52 Reunification Express Train SE1 13hr 32min $50 $52 19:25 8:42 Reunification Express Train SE3 13hr 17min $52 $55 19:30 8:30 Livitrans Express Train SE3 13hr 0min N/A $67 20:10 9:30 Reunification Express Train SE19 13hr 20min $50 $52 22:20 10:52 Viollete Express Train SE1 13hr 32min N/A $58 19:30 8:30 Viollete Express Train SE3 13hr 0min N/A $63 20:10 9:20 Lotus Express Train SE19 N/A $58 20:00 9:34 Laman Express Train SE19 14hr 34min N/A $76
Hanoi to Hue sleeper train
Hanoi to Da Nang overnight train
As the railway station from Hanoi to Danang is about 791 Kilometers and the journey takes about 16 hours, the Vietnam overnight train is more popular among the locals as well as travelers. You have the opportunity to sleep at night and arrive at the destination on the morning of the next day. Night trains aid in saving the cost of accommodation as well as earning daylight travel time.
Travelers can also enjoy the view of the beautiful countryside after waking up from the night train travel before arriving in Danang. The Vietnam overnight trains from Hanoi to Danang also have food counters onboard the train. You can get various meals and snacks or bring along your own food and eat on the night train whenever you feel hungry. Take a look at the table below and arrange your trip accordingly.
Departs Arrives Train No Hard Berth(6) Soft Berth(4) 22:20 13:26 Reunification Express Train SE1 15hr 6min $55 $57 19:25 11:19 Reunification Express Train SE3 16hr 54min $57 $59 20:10 12:20 Reunification Express Train SE19 16hr 10min $53 $56 19:30 11:05 Livitrans Express Train SE3 16hr 35min N/A $77 22:20 13:26 Viollete Express Train SE1 15hr 6min N/A $63 19:30 11:08 Viollete Express Train SE3 16hr 38min N/A $68 20:10 12:20 Lotus Express Train SE19 N/A $61 20:00 12:25 Laman Express Train SE19 16hr 25min N/A $80
Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang sleeper train
Vietnam Railways has six overnight trains departing Ho Chi Minh City between 7.30 pm and 10.30 pm and arriving in Nha Trang early the next morning. The Saigon Golden Train and Livitrans Express from Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang depart at 8.30 pm and get to Nha Trang at 5.30 am the following morning. These private train services can offer a more relaxing and comfortable journey with cleaner compartments, usable toilets, and dedicated staff to assist any needs that may arise.
Both Livitrans Express and Saigon Golden Train serve a small selection of snacks and drinks with more available for purchase. With all overnight trains from Ho Chi Minh City to Nha Trang, it is advisable to inform your hotel of your arrival time to ensure everything is ready when you get in as the usual check-in hour is after midday but with prior notice, you may sometimes get a room earlier. For more information about this sleeper train route, take a scan at the table below to find the best sleeper train from Ho Chi Minh to Nha Trang.
Departs Arrives Train No Hard Berth(6) Soft Berth(4) 21:55 4:47 Reunification Express Train SE2 7hr 52min $37 $40 19:45 3:14 Reunification Express Train SE4 7hr 29min $35 $38 20:30 5:30 Reunification Express Train SNT2 9hr 0min $37 $40 11:50 19:46 Reunification Express Train SE22 8hr 56min $32 $36 20:30 5:30 Livitrans Express Train SNT2 9hr 0min N/A $46
Nha Trang to Ho Chi Minh first-class train
Tips to Travel by Vietnam Overnight Train
While sleeper trains are not the cheapest option to get around Vietnam, there are a few things you should keep in mind for a better experience:
- There will be fresh bedding if you jump on from the primary train stations. However, if you get on partway through a journey, chances are they won’t change the bedding. If you’re sensitive to cleanliness, you are encouraged to bring your own bedding and pillowcase.
- Expect to share the cabin with someone else, if you choose the beds. It’s generally safe to travel by train; however, you might still want to keep your valuables safely hidden.
- The train will be loud and a bit shaky. Bring your earplugs or have some music on for a deeper sleep.
- The toilet might not be on par with those you have in your hometown. It’s best not to drink too much water, as you might not want to go to the toilet every now and then. Bring along tissues and hand sanitizer too.
- Set an alarm to get up 30 minutes before your stop. The staff will come and wake you up, but it’s good to have some time to prepare your stuff.
- Keep your tickets as they might check them once again at night.
Traveling by Vietnam Overnight train
You have just reviewed our article in detail about sleeper trains in Vietnam and the route which you can enjoy it. If you really want to enjoy it, let’s book the Along with Vietnam by train package which provides you with a full experience trip from north to south with an overnight train.
If you are in search of a high-class but unique traveling experience, try out Luxury Train Vietnam – A Special Experience You Should Try Once.
(Image source: Internet)